Wednesday, November 28, 2012

They Said, "Wait Until 6 Weeks." That Was Not A Lie.

When those bandages were first removed everything looked so perfect.  Maybe I was just overwhelmed.  Maybe I was blinded by happiness.  I do not know.  But it looked perfect.  Too perfect.

Two weeks post-op it looked much less than perfect.  Some skin was bright red, inflamed looking.  Other parts looked almost grey in color.  There was swelling everywhere.  Stitches sticking out all over where they were starting to break as parts began to dissolve.  Skin was torn in a few spots.  Scars were a mess.  It was frankly scary looking and freaked me out.  Dilation was very difficult.  And the medium size dilator was beyond torture causing me to pass out from pain the first time.

By four weeks it was officially disturbing.  I was starting to really worry.  Not only was it looking weirder it was feeling weird.  And as I would find out a week later I was beginning to get a skin infection.  Cellulitis.

Five weeks brought me a skin infection, even more swelling, parts of stitches falling off.  Long parts of stitches coming out amongst massive amounts of vaginal discharge.  An overwhelming stench.  Incredible swelling and major redness.  Funky discomfort that felt hard under the skin.  Just a variety of things.  Enough to cause me worry.  I called Dr. Bowers' office in Colorado.  Emailed her nurse in California.  Texted her.  Emailed my ob/gyn.  Started asking friends, family, everyone what they think could be wrong.

End result was a skin infection.  A course of antibiotics for a week.  The discovery that the hard feeling going on is in fact the erectile tissue folded and moved under the skin that apparently does get hard like an erection at times.  And most importantly, peace of mind that things were not totally screwed up and I'd be fine.

Somewhere around five and a half weeks I had my first post-op orgasm.  Brining me relief in so many ways.  The last piece fell into place.  I could relax now knowing that the operation was a success and everything was working as intended.

When I talked to Safina in San Mateo, California, Robin in Trinidad, Colorado, and the others, they all said the same thing.  The same thing that's in my discharge info.  Wait until six weeks.  That by six weeks everything will look so much better.  I was told that at two weeks.  Again at 4 weeks.  At 5 weeks in my panicked state.  Everyone and everything all saying wait until six weeks.

And that brings me to today.  Wednesday again.  Making it now officially six weeks since surgery.  One week of antibiotics are done.  Week since I saw the doctor.  And how am I doing?  Swelling is down a LOT.  Only some puffiness up above everything in the pubic area and some on the left side, labia majora/minora that whole area is swollen some still.  Rest of the swelling is gone.  Stitches have all dissolved entirely except for a very small spot near the clit that does still cause a pinching pain sometimes.  The red inflamed skin is no longer looking inflamed or red.  Looking like a normal light pink color.  Very little odor if any.  Hair covering scars that are healed and starting to fade.  Dilation is so much easier.  I can tolerate the medium sized dilator now.  Still not ready for the large one.  I still struggle with medium but it's not debilitating anymore.  I can have orgasms.  I get wet.  And 9 out of 10 times when I go to the bathroom now I pee in a straight stream into the bowl.  No longer a random spray that goes in every direction except where I want it to.  There is still the unusual hard feeling from the folded erectile tissue.  It feels like this weird pressure at times that can be almost painful.  But it's supposed to get better with time.

Overall, everything is great.  Looks great, feels pretty good, working as it should.  Oh, and the top is perfect too.  Stitches gone up there as well.  No pain or discomfort.  Still stuck wearing a surgical bra until January 24th.  But they look great, feel great, love them.  Current measurements put me at a 38C.

So they were right.  I was starting to lose faith for a bit there around week five.  I didn't think it would improve that much that fast.  But, Marci and her team are the experts.  After over a thousand of these operations it's safe to say they know exactly what to expect.  Complete and total success!

No comments:

Post a Comment